MID-19TH C AMERICAN ANTIQUE CHAMFERED PANEL, HINGED LIDDED WDN BOX WithOLD LACQUER
MID-19TH CENTURY AME RI CAN ANTIQUE CHAMFERED PANEL, HINGED LIDDED WOODEN TOOL BOX, with OLD LACQUERED RED PAINTED EXTERIOR SURFACES, with DEEP CHESTNUT, CORDOVAN, CHARCOAL & PLUM COLORS. [At a previous juncture someone appears to have affixed a side carrying handle, which was also removed at a later time]. Mid to late 19th century Ame ri can antique New England primitive painted, chamfered panel wooden jewelry and tool boxes. 14 1/2" Width x 6" Height x 10 1/2 Depth. Recently discovered in a Boston, Massachusetts finely appointed estate, is this very nice and absolutely, 100% untouched and unaltered, mid to late 19th century Ame ri can f0lk art, New England primitive, antique red painted and lightly lacquered pine wooden tool box.
Fashioned just before or around the period of the U S Civil War, this red painted and lightly lacquered pine wooden tool box has chamfered side and front panels, with the front and rear long sidewalls having two separate recessed panels and the two short sidewalls having a single recessed panel. The sides of the panels are chamfered and provide for an especially decorative look. The front keyhole has a surrounding, decorative cut brass key escutcheon. The rear brass hinges are original and are hand cut and in working order.
One short sidewall has holes drilled through it, presumably caused by a later side lifting/carrying handle that was later removed, leaving the holes from the metal handle fasteners. The edge wear and slight scuffs and surface abrasions are minor and are commensurate with the box's antique pedigree. Good to Very Good overall antique condition.
This item is in the category "Antiques\Primitives". The seller is "modsanctuary" and is located in this country: US.
This item can be shipped worldwide.
- Region of Origin: US-Northeast
- Size Type/Largest Dimension: Medium (Up to 30in.)
- Style: Naive, Primitive, Americana
- Listed By: Dealer or Reseller
- Maker: Unknown New England maker
- Material: Wood
- Original/Reproduction: Original
- Date of Creation: 1800-1899
- Raised panel top on lid: Long sidewalls have 2 recessed panels
- Short sidewalls have 1 recessed panel: Dry, matte finish
- Category: Antiques
- Chamfered sidewall panels: Raised, paneled lid
- Type: Boxes
- Red painted: Old lacquered finish over original red paint
- Deep chestnut, cordovan & plum colors: Original cut brass rear hinges
- Mid-late 19th century: Circa 1860-1885
- American: Antique
- Color: Red
- Tool box: Jewelry box
- Front keyhole: Interior brass lock assembly
- First generation paint: Original decorated surfaces
- Found in Boston, Massachusetts: Handmade
- Pine: Softwood
- Decorative cut front key plate: Unpainted interior & baseplate
- Signed: Unsigned